Your bathroom is probably the most likely place for water damage to occur in your home. In a typical home, 75% of all household water use takes place in the bathroom. Therefore, you need to take steps to prevent and minimize water damage to your bathroom plumbing in Chico. Water damage is hard to detect and expensive to repair.
Prevent Water Damage Caused by Your Plumbing in Chico
There are many things you can do to prevent water damage in your bathroom. Let's take a look at a few actions you can take:
Shower and Tubs
- Inspect tiles to see if any are missing or cracked. Check grout areas to see that the grout is not missing. Water can seep behind tiles and damage the wall if tile and grout is not in good shape.
- Don't let water sit in the tub. Standing water can find ways to get around a faulty drain.
- Check out caulking around tubs and showers and replace or repair any areas that may allow water to seep through.
- Dry the floor immediately after bathing or showering. Don't let water sit on the floor.
- Use the exhaust fan to pull moist air out of the area. Keep the room as dry as possible.
Sinks and Cabinets
- These are exposed to moisture every day. Inspect them often to see that there are no leaks or moisture issues that might cause problems.
- If the trap has a leak or any moisture around it this could indicate a problem with your plumbing in Chico. Somewhere in the system there has to be excess moisture. Get this looked at.
- Any drips from faucets need to be repaired. Small leaks lead to larger leaks and bigger problems.
- Check seals and grout around sinks also. If they are cracked, broken or simply missing replace or repair them.
- The seal on the bottom of the toilet needs to be inspected regularly. If you see water near the base of the toilet have the seal replaced.
- Make sure the tank does not leak. If you hear the tank filling for no reason you know there is a leak. This constant water drip can cause damage to the toilet and any others near it that stay wet.
- Check water lines leading to the toilet. These can often leak and cause damage if left unchecked.
- Water leaks in the bathroom are often hard to detect since most of the pipes are in the wall. Check the walls for soft spots and discoloration.
- Inspect adjacent rooms to the bathroom. Water and moisture detected in these areas could indicate a problem in the bathroom.
- If you have a two story home check the ceiling areas under second story bathrooms to see if there are any issues.
Be Diligent With Your Plumbing in Chico
Water can cause extensive damage to bathrooms in your home if left unchecked. The best way to minimize the damage is to keep a sharp eye out for problems and stop them before they even occur.
The steps listed above are things you can check on and perform to make sure your bathroom stays dry and away from serious water damage. There will be times you have issues though.
Don't hesitate to call a professional to check out your bathroom plumbing in Chico if you feel you have issues. A Chico plumber at Experts In Your Home can spot problems before you see them and get you the help you need before you are faced with expensive water-related repairs. We do a comprehensive 27 point plumbing inspection to find any problems and to help prevent plumbing problems in the future.
Be diligent and be problem free in your bathroom. Next time you experience any issues, contact Experts In Your Home.
Experts In Your Home has been serving the North State’s construction, remodeling and maintenance needs for over 30 years and provides home painting, heating & air conditioning, plumbing, electrical services & more for your home or business in the communities of Chico, Paradise, Magalia, Durham, Oroville, Red Bluff, Corning & Orland, California.