Brace yourself. The Old Farmer's Almanac predicts that northern California will experience “above normal” rainfall this winter.
Then again, Weather West isn't so sure, saying that the winter forecast “remains elusive for NorCal.”
Forecasters can afford to be wrong, but you don't want to pay the price of a leaky roof if we're deluged with winter rain after all. Schedule a roof inspection with Experts in Your Home and avoid these worst-case forecasts:
- Extensive interior damage, including to your ceilings, walls, floors and windows. Insurance claims can run from the mid-five figures to the low six figures – and sometimes more if the roof is so compromised that it needs to be replaced. BankRate doesn't mince words: “To a home insurance company, the roof is the most important part of your house because it's the gateway to far greater damage claims once it's breached.”
- Damage to your home's electrical system if water penetrates the wiring, not to mention to your family's safety if the leak triggers a spark or fire.
- Damage to all the furniture, clothing and personal possessions that come into contact with water. If even less than 1 inch of water has covered your basement floor, then you already know that anything in its path quickly absorbs it like a sponge. Many times, water-logged items cannot be salvaged.
- An ensuing outgrowth of mildew and mold, not to mention the health problems that can develop from breathing mold spores.
Add Up the Benefits of a Roof Inspection
Scheduling a roof inspection with Experts in Your Home can help you avoid these traumatic domestic crises – and a financial crisis, too. At the same time, an inspection will:
- Allow us to identify and make minor repairs where needed before they balloon into bigger, more expensive ones
- Lengthen the lifespan of your roof since, much like your air conditioner and furnace, your roof benefits from regular inspections and maintenance
- Ensure that you enjoy the uninterrupted warmth and comfort that your roof is designed to provide
Leave Your Roof Inspection to the Experts
While the Experts are known for encouraging the DIY spirit with many home maintenance tasks, a roof inspection is not one of them. The main reason should be obvious: we're concerned for your safety, especially because even a flat roof can be treacherous terrain, even on a dry, non-windy day.
We not only know what to inspect; we recognize the signs of impending trouble. This is why we focus on access points where water is most likely to enter your home as well as areas where your roof might already be compromised, including the:
- Attic (including the insulation and vents)
- Pipe flashings
- Rubber boots
- Shingles (especially those that are loose, missing seals or are blistered, curled or otherwise showing signs of deterioration)
- Soffits and fascia
- Storm collars
- Water collection areas (especially dips and valleys)
Fortify Your Roof Inspection Without Delay
Like many homeowners, you might not be able to constrain your DIY spirit. You might want to pitch in. If so, refer to our earlier article, “Home maintenance tips: How to protect your roof from water damage.” Follow our tips about solidifying your doors and windows, which eventually reveal the consequences of water damage. Then make sure that your exterior walls and wall penetrations are secure, too.
If you need help with these tasks, remember that you can count on Experts in Your Home. We won't know what winter will bring until all the rainfall totals are calculated. But in the meantime, you'll know that your roof and home are ready to sustain whatever the storm clouds unleash in the months ahead.
Experts In Your Home has been serving the North State’s construction, remodeling and maintenance needs for over 30 years and provides home painting, heating & air conditioning, plumbing, electrical services & more for your home or business in the communities of Chico, Paradise, Magalia, Durham, Oroville, Red Bluff, Corning & Orland, California.