The ol’ “out of sight, out of mind” rationale makes perfect sense – until, that is, Experts in Your Home has to explain to an overwrought homeowner that their roof has caved in because it was weakened by a steady stream of water.
The frequent cause: gutters so clogged with leaves, twigs, pine needles, acorns, dirt and other debris that when it rained, the water overflowed from the gutters and spilled right into their home. When gutters are out of sight, we simply assume they're performing their basic function: collecting water and carrying it away via downspouts so that it does not damage the roof, siding, windows and doors.
Protect Your Home with Gutter Cleaning
Protecting your home from the devastating effects of these types of water leaks is one motivator to call our experts and make a gutter cleaning appointment after the leaves are done falling this autumn.
The money you spend on this important maintenance task will pale in comparison to the devastating emotional and financial damage you could suffer without gutter cleaning, especially considering that the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety says that water damage accrues faster than any other household crisis, easily hitting the $5,000 mark. Clogged gutters can trigger other expensive problems, too, including:
- Clogged gutters can cause your basement to leak. In fact, they are one of the primary causes of basement and crawl space “water problems,” including (in order of severity) leaks, dampness, mold, mildew and humidity. All of these conditions can occur when clogged gutters overflow and the water accumulates around the foundation.
- Clogged gutters can cause your foundation to crack. Now a chain reaction has begun, and it's easy to see why: loose dirt under a foundation settles over time. But when one area settles more quickly than others, exacerbated by water, the additional stress can trigger cracks in the foundation. And if you think interior water damage is expensive to repair, you don't want to see the bill for repairing a faulty foundation.
- Clogged gutters can compromise your driveway, patio and walkways. The same dynamic can erode the dirt under asphalt, concrete and paver stones, triggering not only cracks but settling, sags and surface collapse.
- Clogged gutters attract termites, mosquitoes and other outdoor pests. Termites are drawn to standing water in gutters because they need water to survive. Mosquitoes lay eggs in stagnant water and so are drawn to open pools of water. And birds, mice and squirrels are lured to the sustenance of water, and the determined ones may find may find a way to take up permanent residence in your home by clawing their way into your attic.
- Clogged gutters can damage your home's exterior and especially the roof shingles, soffit, fascia and wood frame or trim. Over time, dry rot can develop. (See our previous article, “Home Tips: How to Detect and Repair Dry Rot In Your Home” for assistance with this issue.)
Let Us Clean Your Gutters
As you might know, gutter cleaning is a messy job. And it involves a safety risk since it involves climbing up and down on a ladder. Experts in Your Home is well equipped to handle this messy, risky task conscientiously and efficiently. Contact us for gutter cleaning today.
After we clear your gutters, we'll also check the integrity of your gutters – looking for broken fasteners and separation between connections – and ensure that your downspouts deposit water at least 5 feet away from your home – and in areas where it won't accumulate.
After we leave, your gutters may return to their former state: being out of sight. But all the hazards of clogged gutters will be safely out of mind.
Experts In Your Home has been serving the North State’s construction, remodeling and maintenance needs for over 30 years and provides home painting, heating & air conditioning, plumbing, electrical services & more for your home or business in the communities of Chico, Paradise, Magalia, Durham, Oroville, Red Bluff, Corning & Orland, California.